The Bard and Me

The Bard and Me
My quest to read everything that William Shakespeare has ever written!

Friday 17 December 2010

Where to start?

Hola Internet!
Which Shakespeare play should I start with? Now I am a wear (where, were, wear?  Without Phil my dyslexia support tutor I am screwed when it comes to words of many meaning! I shall leave it for you to decided...use a dictionary I hear you say?....I appear to have miss placed it) that I am making a mountain out of a mole hill but I don’t really know where to start (with my quest to read all the Bards work)...
Should I decide upon peoples suggestions?
A lot of people like: The Tempest – magical, a character stuck in a tree?! I studied an excerpt of the text in a Stanislavsky class once and I remember moving ‘logs’ and then imaging wading through treacle...but I am pretty sure that logs and treacle aren’t heavy themes...are they?
Or maybe Twelfth Night...of which I have no knowledge! Maybe an exciting place to start – THE UNKNOWN
Ahhhhhh! I don’t know ....chronological? That would make the most sense, which would mean I start with The Comedy of Errors. I went to see the Royal Shakespeare Company production of The Comedy of Errors and it was amazing! It was all twins and mad wigs...

Maybe I should look for signs? I have just recently watched ’10 things I hate about you’ which is based on The Taming of The Shrew (for the millionth time! I am a bit of a sucker for 90’s films, or anything that has a pop sound track and features Heath Ledger (Rest In Peace) singing and dancing about, Pre- tortured artist faze. )....

I love this scene! It’s a real child hood dream to have a ‘Prince charming’ of some sort declare his love to you in such a grand gesture...however at 24 years old I think my chances of being wooed over the hockey field in knee high socks are slim to nil!

"So wise so young, they say do never live long."
King Richard III (III, i, 79)

It is so tragic when people die young ...I dedicate this post to Heath Ledger, and for him I will start my adventure with The Taming of the Shrew!
Peace Out

Sam
x

No comments:

Post a Comment